Pressure-Cooked Beef Stew Recipe
"I like to serve this twist on traditional stew with fresh rolls on crusty bread," tells Joanne Wright of Niles, Michigan. "The roast and vegetables cook quickly and make a comforting meal."
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a pressure cooker, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove roast. Add cooking rack; place roast on rack. Add 4 cups of water. Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook for 40 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.)
- Remove from the heat; allow pressure to drop on its own. Remove meat and keep warm. Pour pan juices into a bowl; skim fat. Remove rack from cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, pan juices and remaining water to cooker. Cover securely; return cooker to full pressure. Reduce heat; cook for 8 minutes.
- Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pressure-Cooked Beef Stew in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p61
Reviews for Pressure-Cooked Beef Stew(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >