- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apples
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in apples and 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar; boil 1 minute. Spoon over bread. Sprinkle with remaining pecans; let stand until set. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Praline-Topped Apple Bread
"I am so pleased with this recipe. I made it and I could not believe how delicious it is. I love the frosting on top, the sweet and tart flavors were great. Can't wait to share this recipe."
"I made this last night after reading the reviews. I did add some ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients. I also used 1-1/2 C. chopped & peeled apples. They were not Granny Smith but I had them on hand & wanted to use them up. They were not "cooking" apples & kind of got lost in the bread. I could taste them, but they were not as chunky as I would have liked. Next time I won't be so impatient & use Granny Smith! I'm sure that would move my review up to a 5 ! The praline was EXCELLENT! Will be making this again real soon!"
"Baked the apple bread today ..... delicious, moist, not as sweet as I feared ..... Sonja .....I thank you ..... it will be a staple in my home ..... I cut a small slice to taste ..... Ended up eating 3more slices ..... am having friends over for dinner tomorrow, and know it will be a huge hit .....again thank you!!!"
"The absolute apple bread ever! My family loves it."
"wonderful ! will definitely make again"
"Moist and delicious. the praline glaze makes it a treat for those with a sweet tooth. Toasting the pecans gives them a flavorful crunch."
"This bread is SO good and a nice change from banana bread during the fall/winter!!"
"Loved this, especially the topping. Took to work for treat day and it was a big hit."
"I think if there were a little cinnamon in the bread it self it would tie the two together. The recipe was simple but the two didn't go together. The bread by it self with a little butter would be a great breakfast treat tosted but to bland to hold up under all that sweetness. Won't make again."