Praline Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Adding a pleasant crunch, praline crumbles contrast perfectly with the smooth sweet potato filling in this recipe. It’s a fun, festive update on a classic Southern dessert.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-3/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with waxed paper; set aside. For praline crumbles, in a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, brown sugar, cream and butter. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in pecans.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add vanilla; stir for 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and begins to lose its gloss. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until set. Coarsely chop.
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges. Sprinkle 1 cup praline crumbles into pastry. Place the sweet potatoes, egg yolks, sugar, milk, cream, butter, extract and spices in a food processor. Cover and process just until blended. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until center is almost set. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream and remaining praline crumbles. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Praline Sweet Potato Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual
Reviews for Praline Sweet Potato Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Halloween Desserts >
- Halloween Party Recipes >