- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Grease and flour two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, sweet potatoes, oil, water and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened; fold in pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Carefully peel off waxed paper.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Pour over loaves. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Praline Sweet Potato Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p37
Reviews for Praline Sweet Potato Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review