Praline Pumpkin Torte Recipe
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 large eggs
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped pecans, optional
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour into two well-greased 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with pecans; cool.
- 2. For cake, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil. Add pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, pie spice, baking soda and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture just until blended.
- 3. Carefully spoon batter over brown sugar mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 5. Place one cake layer, praline side up, on a serving plate. Spread two-thirds of the whipped cream mixture over cake. Top with second cake layer and remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional pecans if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece: 577 calories, 38g fat (13g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Praline Pumpkin Torte
"To the reviewers that had issues with the topping sticking in the pans. I ALWAYS use parchment paper when I bake any layer cakes. Especially these types. End of problem."
"This recipe has a lot of ingredients but was actually quick to whip up, you will not be disappointed. This recipe caught my eye because of the presentation and the great reviews, so glad I made it, praline gives just enough sweetness and the whipped topping was light and tasty. I made it for my coworker birthday and she loved it as the rest of the team did too. I will be making it again for Christmas."
"Love, love this torte. But every time I make it he praline topping sticks to the pan. Does anyone have a suggestion? Would it work to put a parchment circle in the pan first?"
"Always get asked for the recipie its a tried and true winner."
"Several of my guests said this is the best cake recipe they have ever tried. It is very moist and the praline adds such a nice flavor. I did find it hard to get the cake out of the pans (some of the praline stuck even though I greased the pans well with crisco) but I just used a spatula to scrape the bits and placed them back on the cake. I also toasted the additional pecans. This is definitely a keeper!"
"This cake is absoutely amazing! We have made it several times for family gatherings."
"Been making this cake since it came out in Taste of Home magazine. Thought I would skip it this year since visiting one of my daughters out of state, but she thinks differently. It's a must to make, her fave! Plus everybody elses. It's one of those recipes that will always be in our family. A big thank you to the originator!"
"OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD!!!!!"
"hard to get out of pans"
"Amazing, very moist and flavorful. Fairly easy to make too!"
"I make this cake in a sheet pan. It is moist, very flavorful, and everyone loves it."
"Great cake after i put out the fire in my oven.Will make again with baking sheet under it."
"Wonderful Light makes a great presentation. Use it often for company"
"So delicious! Tasted like the most moist pumpkin muffin you ever tasted. My mother made this for a family members birthday and I will try to make it myself for the upcoming holidays. People that didn't even like cake, loved this. A pinch of cinnamon was added as well as frosting the entire cake, opposed how it's shown in the picture. Five stars."
"Delicious! One of my favourite cakes!"
"This is delicious, I have made it several times, sometimes I half the recipe and bake it in a 8x8. Even though I half the cake recipe, I don't half the topping."
"Though pumpkin is neither my, nor my husbands’ favorite flavor, we do like it and wanted to have a desert made with pumpkin for Thanksgiving this year. Since he likes cake and I like pie, this very moist torte was the perfect blend to satisfy us. It is delicious and we both love it! It is nice looking and versatile enough for company also. Just so you know, I made no modifications and it doesn’t need any. I’ll definitely make it again."