Prairie Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in ketchup, mustard, oats, salt, garlic powder, thyme and basil. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add to oat mixture. Stir in the onion, celery and 2 cups of cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Press into two ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 1-1/4 hours until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; let stand until melted. Yield: 2 loaves (6-8 servings each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 316 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Prairie Meat Loaf
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.