Prairie Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in ketchup, mustard, oats, salt, garlic powder, thyme and basil. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add to oat mixture. Stir in the onion, celery and 2 cups of cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Press into two ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 1-1/4 hours until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; let stand until melted. Yield: 2 loaves (6-8 servings each).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Prairie Meat Loaf(3)
Sort By :
This recipe is great everybody loves it. I used crushed crackers instead of old-fashioned oats and left out the shredded cheese.
I have made this several times and it has never been less than good. I like the extra fiber the oatmeal gives it.
I've made this several times a year - ever since it first published in 1998. I usually freeze the 2nd loaf, but also use it when making a "crisis" meal for someone else. We all like it, and the folks I've shared it with have all enjoyed it, too
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >