Prairie Birthday Cake
BE PREPARED: If you plan to serve our kitchen staff's confection for a youngster's birthday party, you might be in for a land rush. Why? With this sweet treat on the table, you're bound to have lots of little "settlers" on your hands...claiming their territory around the birthday cake! The CT home economists started out simply—by using a purchased cake mix—then added sunbonnets and flo
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Pink, yellow, green and purple or blue paste food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a
- greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool on a wire rack
- for 10 minutes; invert onto the rack to cool completely. Transfer
- cake to a 15-in. x 12-in. covered board.
- In a bowl, cream shortening, butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in
- sugar and milk until light and fluffy.
- Place 1 cup frosting in a bowl; tint pink. Place 1/2 cup frosting
- each in two bowls; tint one yellow and one purple or blue. Place 1/4
- cup frosting in another bowl; tint green. Cover and set bowls aside.
- Set 1/2 cup white frosting aside. Frost cake with remaining white
- With a knife, score a straight line lengthwise down the center of the
- cake; score two lines widthwise, creating six sections. Cut a small
- hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert star tip. Fill