- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Pink, yellow, green and purple or blue paste food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; invert onto the rack to cool completely. Transfer cake to a 15-in. x 12-in. covered board.
- In a bowl, cream shortening, butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in sugar and milk until light and fluffy.
- Place 1 cup frosting in a bowl; tint pink. Place 1/2 cup frosting each in two bowls; tint one yellow and one purple or blue. Place 1/4 cup frosting in another bowl; tint green. Cover and set bowls aside. Set 1/2 cup white frosting aside. Frost cake with remaining white frosting.
- With a knife, score a straight line lengthwise down the center of the cake; score two lines widthwise, creating six sections. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert star tip. Fill bag with reserved white frosting. Pipe rows of white shells over the scored lines
- Prepare another bag; insert star tip and fill with pink frosting. Pipe shells on each side of the rows of white shells, being careful not to cross over the lines. Pipe a row of pink shells around top and bottom edges of the cake.
- Trace a sunbonnet pattern onto waxed paper and cut out. With a sharp knife, trace pattern in top left, bottom middle and to right squares.
- Prepare another bag; insert round tip and fill with pink frosting. Outline and fill in the bonnet and form a bow in the top left square. In the center of each of the empty squares, pipe two pink flowers.
- Prepare another bag; insert round tip and fill with purple or blue frosting. Outline and fill in the bonnet in the middle bottom square and form a bow. Pipe two purple or blue flowers in the squares with the pink flowers. Place a small dot of purple or blue frosting in the center of pink flowers.
- Prepare another bag; insert round tip and fill with yellow frosting. Outline and fill in the bottom in the top right square and form a bow. Pipe two yellow flowers in squares with the other flowers, forming a bouquet. Place a small dot of the yellow frosting in the center of purple or blue flowers.
- Prepare another bag; insert round tip and fill with green frosting. Pipe stems and leaves on bouquets. Place a small dot of green frosting in the center of yellow flowers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forPrairie Birthday Cake
"This is nice recipe. I tried this last weekend."