Pound Cake Ring Recipe
"I use half of the batter from this recipe to bake an old-fashioned-tasting pound cake sprinkled with powdered sugar," writes Joan. The other half can be used in one of the terrific treatments that follow.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1 pound butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Confectioners' sugar, fresh peaches, blackberries and mint, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine milk, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and extract. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour 4-1/2 cups of batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. (Use the remaining batter to prepare a second pound cake.)
- 3. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 45 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with fruit and mint if desired. Yield: 2 cakes (9 cups batter).
1 piece equals 253 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC