- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups crushed tortilla chips (about 8 ounces)
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in 3 tablespoons taco seasoning.
- In a large bowl, layer beef mixture, lettuce, beans, onion, tomatoes, cheese and crushed chips. In a small bowl, mix salad dressing, taco sauce and remaining taco seasoning; serve with salad. Yield: 8 servings (1 cup dressing).
Reviews for Potluck Taco Salad
Sort By :
"I've made this for years now, but I would also add a layer of sliced, black olives and my dressing is equal parts of Thousand Island dressing and Mexican Salsa, sometime I would use corn chips instead of tortilla chips"
"I added small can sliced black olives and Catalina dressing instead."
"very yummy! The kids loved the dressing."
"This is the same recipe that I have used for years and it is delicious! The salad dressing may seem a little strange, but it is actually really good. I usually add a little bit of sugar to the salad dressing-it doesn't make it sweet, it just adds a depth of flavor."
"I've made this for years now - for my family, lunches for my colleagues, and parties. EVERYONE raves about it and wants the recipe. It't the sauce that makes it dfferent from any other taco salad. It's a surefire hit."