- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Spoon meat into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in biscuit mix and pepper. Pour over meat. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5-10 minutes.
Spread sour cream over top; sprinkle with lettuce, tomato, green pepper, onions and cheese.
Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then top as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Potluck Taco Casserole
"I have making this for years. My kids most requested recipe even as adults. I made a few adds over the year. Add half a can of jalepeno and half a can of green chiles. Sometimes a cup of corn in the batter. Bake and spread a can of refried beans and cook another ten minutes. Add all the toppings and serve. I only use a pound of hamburger and it's awesome!"
"This was very tasty but a little dry I think I will add a little salsa next time.As someone else suggested I used cornbread instead of the biscuit topping .I also added a little frozen corn and everyone added their own toppings."
"Haven't tried it yet but will. How about corn bread mix instead of biscuit."
"I made exactly as written. It was good, however, it could benefit from a little more flavor. I was thinking maybe adding salsa...any other suggestions in kicking it up a notch? Thanks!"
"This was a different take on taco night. We really enjoyed it."