Potluck Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 3 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups ketchup
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, celery, onions and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, flour, sugar, vinegar and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Spoon 2/3 cup turkey mixture onto each bun.
- 3. Or, cool turkey mixture and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen turkey mixture: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat through. Spoon 2/3 cup turkey mixture onto each bun. Yield: 12 servings.
1 sandwich equals 360 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.