Potluck Rice Pilaf
A fun and tasty alternative to potatoes, this savory rice is a popular side dish at gatherings. I especially like its mild soy sauce flavor and flecks of green onion and toasted slivered almonds.
-Annette Rodgers, Rosston, Arkansas
20-22 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 10 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add rice; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes
- or until lightly browned. Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is
- tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; stir in the
- onions and soy sauce. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in
- almonds. Yield: 20-22 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 196 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 720 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.