A local newspaper featured this potluck-friendly recipe years ago. A creamy alternative to pumpkin pie, it quickly became one of my favorites. —Peggy Shea, Lowell, Indiana
- 1-2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. In a large saucepan, combine pie filling and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil. Add gelatin; stir until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Cool for 10 minutes. Spread over cream cheese layer. Spread whipped topping over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin Torte in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p53
Reviews for Potluck Pumpkin Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review