- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Potluck German Apple Cake
"Made this cake & loved it. For the cream cheese frosting I and added some Caramel Extract. It was fantastic. Brought 2 cakes to a pot luck (of 12 people) and had only 4 pieces left. It really WAS good! (It almost tasted like a caramel apple!) yummy ...."
"I made this recipe twice within a couple of days. The first time was exactly as the recipe stated, (in order to fairly review it), and the second time with a few adjustments for personal taste. As another reviewer stated, the batter is very thick (like a quick bread) and I was a bit concerned at first but it turns out great - just go with it! The baking time indicated was pretty accurate for me - It took about 50 minutes in my oven. The adjustments I made the second time were to reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup, I used 4 generously rounded cups of apples instead of exactly 4 cups, added an extra tsp. of cinnamon (tho wouldn't do this again as we couldn't taste any difference between 2 tsp and 3 tsp) and used 1 cup pecans instead of 3/4. I skipped the cream cheese frosting the second time around and dusted it with some confectioners sugar to fancy it up a bit - delicious! Might try serving it next time with a small scoop of ice cream. :) Will definitely make this again (it's a great recipe to send for office meetings etc). Can't comment on how well it might freeze for later use - it didn't last the day either time!"
"This is a great cake but baking it for 55 to 60 minutes as the recipe says is way off. I bake mine for 35 minutes and it is perfect."
"I made this cake for dessert for our card club and everyone really liked it. Easy, and very, very good!"
"best new recipe i've tried in a while everyone loved it"
"This cake is delicious and moist, this recipe is a keeper !"
"Delicious and simple. The hardest part was peeling and dicing the apples."
"This cake is delicious! The batter was very thick, more like a quick bread than cake. I did make as directed, with no changes, but next time may forgo the frosting. The cake is fantastic with out it."
"This cake is moist and delicious! Check it at about 50 minutes...mine was done. The only changes I made were that I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, sprinkled with powdered sugar instead of making icing, and no nuts - my husband doesn't like them. I used Macintosh apples. Great recipe!"
"Sounds delish but I have a question. It says it serves 12-16. Do the nutrition facts apply to a 1/12 or 1/16 size serving?"