- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Potluck German Apple Cake
"This is really delicious. I like to serve it with vanilla ice cream."
"Made this gluten free by using Sun Flour Mills pastry flour & xanthan gum. Also used 1.5 cups sugar instead of 2. Checked it at 45 minutes and it was perfect! Absolutely delicious! Will be making this again."
"Very moist, easy, delicious. Made as recipe states, no modifications."
"Thank you so much, KathyCooks and Galiahutchinson, for saying what so many of us thought about negative reviews. Anna, we are all cooks, and if we want to reduce fat or sugar in a recipe, most of us know how to do that. We also know that if a recipe doesn't suit us, we look elsewhere-----and we don't make negative comments. How do you know that "our bodies cannot metabolize white sugar properly..."? Medically speaking, white sugar is metabolized no differently than honey, fructose (fruits) or agave. Ask your doctor."
"Have make this many times, and it is easy to make (after chopping apples), I usually skip any frosting or glaze, and serve with whip cream, with a sprinkle of cinnamon."
"Anna....why are you on this site.? Obviously you just like to tear recipes apart to TRY to make yourself look like queen bee of health. I have made a very similarrecipe like this for over 50 years. (Mine has a little cold coffee in it). Guess what? We are all still alive, kicking and healthy..do I have to tell you how old I am?By the way this is a nice cake. Enjoy it."
"I feel I must speak out if you do not like the amount of sugar or fat in a recipe just make another. . Do not shame the recipe or the person submitting it we really do not need to hear what is good for our bodies or what we should be eating. That should be a personal choice. I weigh 110 lbs and I would definitely make and eat this cake. It sounds delicious."
"I have made a version of this cake for years and years and everyone loves it! There is no need to peel and chop the apples. Just core them and use the shredder blade in the food processor. I add a teaspoon of ground nutmeg for a little more spice. I also make more icing. My standard recipe that I use on most cakes: 8 oz cream cheese. 1 stick butter, 1 box powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla."