- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Potluck German Apple Cake
Sort By :
"This cake is delicious! The batter was very thick, more like a quick bread than cake. I did make as directed, with no changes, but next time may forgo the frosting. The cake is fantastic with out it."
"This cake is moist and delicious! Check it at about 50 minutes...mine was done. The only changes I made were that I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, sprinkled with powdered sugar instead of making icing, and no nuts - my husband doesn't like them. I used Macintosh apples. Great recipe!"
"Sounds delish but I have a question. It says it serves 12-16. Do the nutrition facts apply to a 1/12 or 1/16 size serving?"
"This one was made many time by Gramma. Sometime you can use Store Brand or Generic Cream Cheese instead of the ore expensive Name Brand. Beware, you will need to buy more blocks if you try to skimp on the price of Name Brand."