My mother made this cake for me and my brothers during our childhood. It's excellent any time of the year for potlucks or picnics. —Edie DeSpain, Logan, Utah
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as German Apple Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p10
Reviews for Potluck German Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review