This is a moist yummy dessert with bits of fruit inside and a crunchy brown sugar-walnut mixture on top. It's perfect for potlucks.—James Patterson, Spokane, Washington
- 5 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) fruit cocktail
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Drain fruit cocktail, reserving the syrup; set aside. In a several large bowls, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add syrup to dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in fruit cocktail. Pour into four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 cakes (16 servings each).
Originally published as Fruit Cocktail Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p41
Reviews for Potluck Fruit Cocktail Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review