Potluck Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, paprika, oregano, sage and pepper. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water. Dip chicken in egg mixture; place in the bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Place in two ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Potluck Fried Chicken(18)
Sort By :
I would bake this on a rack after frying as the bottom of the chicken got a little soggy from the grease. Otherwise, it was awesome! We didn't mind the oregano and sage so I kept the recipe the same.
It is too yummy and delicious.
My family would have liked this better if it didn't have the sage. I did like the crispy texture of the chicken.
Would just like to ask why there are so many calories for one serving when people want to lose weight they can't have any of this.
I normally try all recipes as written to get a true picture of the flavours and method but in this case due to family likes and dislikes I did some substituting with my first try. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips, substituted homemade bread crumbs for the cornmeal and as suggested by another cook substituted lemon pepper for the sage and oregano (also eliminating the regular pepper). Loved the coating as it was light and the family loved the flavours and how alot of the oil was eliminated during the finishing in the oven (I put the strips on a rack over a baking pan).
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Fried Chicken Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >