Potluck Eggs Benedict
Asparagus spears give this hearty breakfast dish big springtime flavor. It's super served over warm fluffy biscuits...and a great way to use up extra hard-cooked eggs. Pauline Van Breemen, Franklin, Indiana
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 to 12 biscuits, warmed
- Cut asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces, using only tender parts of spears.
- Cook in a small amount of boiling water until tender, about 5
- minutes; drain. Set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Add milk and
- broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add ham and
- cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Add eggs, salt, cayenne and
- asparagus; heat through. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 485 calories, 32 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 214 mg cholesterol, 1,444 mg sodium,