- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 to 12 biscuits, warmed
- Cut asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces, using only tender parts of spears. Cook in a small amount of boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes; drain. Set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Add milk and broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add ham and cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Add eggs, salt, cayenne and asparagus; heat through. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Potluck Eggs Benedict
"Have made this for years, a family favorite, but we call it Creamed Ham and Eggs on Biscuits.....sometimes with and sometime without asparagus. It's great both ways, but I agree, not Eggs Benedict!!"
"Made this for a ladies breakfast at church. Very good. Everyone loved it. I doubled the recipe to serve 24 ladies and there was some left over. I brought it home and froze it. My husband and I had the leftover Benedict thawed and rewarmed a few weeks later and it still tasted good over some fresh tea biscuits. I wasn't sure how it would be with the milk etc. but the freezing did not hurt it. Will make it again."
"This was one of my kids' favorite meals, and they still request it when they come home for visits."
"This was a big hit at Christmas brunch. I put it in the slow cooker to serve. Worked beautifully."