Potluck Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 roasting chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups frozen peas, optional
- 1. Place the chicken, celery, onion and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; cool.
- 2. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Add the tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, turnip, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add broccoli and peas if desired; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
1 cup: 195 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Potluck Chicken Vegetable Soup
"The various seasonings give this soup a lot of flavor. I had to skip the tarragon as I didn't have that on hand & I substituted an extra potato for the turnip. Makes a huge batch - will be freezing a portion of it."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.