I experimented with various combinations, and this is the recipe I came up with. It's especially good to take to potlucks or share with friends. I often take a bowl to work to heat up for a fast lunch.
- 1 roasting chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups frozen peas, optional
- Place the chicken, celery, onion and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; cool.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to pan. Add the tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, turnip, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add broccoli and peas if desired; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup in Country Extra September 2001, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Potluck Chicken Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review