Potluck Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in mayonnaise until smooth. Add the chicken, rice, celery, peas, pimientos, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 2. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with cornflakes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 397 calories, 23 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 512 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.