Potluck Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe
To make it easier to bring this traditional Southern staple to a potluck or gathering, I updated it so that it can be cooked in a slow cooker. It's hard to go wrong with candied sweet potatoes when it comes to pleasing a crowd.—Deirdre Dee Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine sugars. In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer a third of the sweet potatoes; sprinkle with a third of the sugar mixture. Repeat layers twice. In a small bowl, combine the butter, vanilla and salt; drizzle over potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- 2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a serving dish; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over sweet potatoes.
- 3. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup sweet potato with 1/4 cup sauce equals 252 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC