Potluck Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe
To make it easier to bring this traditional Southern staple to a potluck or gathering, I updated it so that it can be cooked in a slow cooker. It's hard to go wrong with candied sweet potatoes when it comes to pleasing a crowd.—Deirdre Dee Cox, Kansas City, Kansas
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, combine sugars. In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer a third of the sweet potatoes; sprinkle with a third of the sugar mixture. Repeat layers twice. In a small bowl, combine the butter, vanilla and salt; drizzle over potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a serving dish; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Potluck Candied Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p76
Reviews for Potluck Candied Sweet Potatoes(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Potatoes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >