Potluck Black-Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. Place peas in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid. Return peas to pan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- 2. Drain peas and place in a large bowl. Add salad dressing and onion; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cool. Add the remaining ingredients; toss gently. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 141 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.