Potluck Black-Eyed Pea Salad
"Whenever I get asked to potluck parties, this salad usually gets an invitation, too," chuckles Joy Polito Young of New Bern, North Carolina. "Since it takes a little time for the flavors to meld, I sometimes toss it together a day ahead, then add the fresh peppers just before serving."
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place peas in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by
- 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat;
- cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse peas, discarding
- liquid. Return peas to pan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain peas and place in a large bowl. Add salad dressing and onion;
- toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cool. Add the remaining
- ingredients; toss gently. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 141 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium,