"Whenever I get asked to potluck parties, this salad usually gets an invitation, too," chuckles Joy Polito Young of New Bern, North Carolina. "Since it takes a little time for the flavors to meld, I sometimes toss it together a day ahead, then add the fresh peppers just before serving."
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place peas in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid. Return peas to pan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain peas and place in a large bowl. Add salad dressing and onion; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cool. Add the remaining ingredients; toss gently. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Black-Eyed Pea Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p19
Reviews for Potluck Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2014
"This tasty meatless meal is wonderful. There were no missing textures or flavours. After seeding the jalapeños, I rinsed the peppers well. It made the peppers lack in the natural spicy taste. Good flavour!"