- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- COFFEE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Dissolve coffee granules in milk; add to butter mixture and beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Potluck Banana Cake
Sort By :
Great taste unique frosting
Loved this cake and the combination of frosting and cake is wonderful. My family loved it too and I would suggest it too.
Only two of the four in my family like bananas but the two of use that do like this cake. The sour cream makes it super moist. I used a vanilla bean cream cheese frosting for this because the two of use don't care for coffee. The banana flavor is a nice change to the typical white cakes at potlucks.
Anything banana goes well with my family. Delicious cake, tender and moist. Will keep this recipe for a family favorite!
I also have made this recipie for many years in a 15x10 pan.....got the recipie card that I cut out of a previous Taste of Home magazine! I will substitute some banana extract for part of the vanilla for more banana flavor, I usually use a cream cheese frosting.....moist and delicious and easy to make!