- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 paprika, optional
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Fold two 18-in.-long pieces of foil into two 18x4-in. strips. Line perimeter of a 4-qt. slow cooker with foil strips; spray with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels, reserving drippings. In same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons bacon drippings over medium heat; cook pasta in drippings 2 minutes or until edges turn translucent. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat 1/4 cup bacon drippings over medium heat. Add flour, garlic powder, onion powder and, if desired, paprika. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until flour begins to turn pale golden brown. Gradually whisk in milk and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses; transfer to slow cooker. Stir in pasta. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until pasta is tender. Top with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Potluck Bacon Mac & Cheese in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p48
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Potluck Bacon Mac & Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review