Potluck Apple Pie Recipe
In charge of dessert for a fund-raising dinner at our church, I experimented and came up with this scrumptious pie made in a jelly roll pan. It fed a group and got rave reviews. With flavorful apples and maple syrup, it gives a true taste of the Northeast. -Alma Lynne Gravel, Trappe, Pennsylvania
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, divided
- 3 pounds tart apples (8 to 9 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour and water until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, combine salt and remaining flour; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add reserved flour mixture; knead gently until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 3. Spread 1/4 cup syrup over crust. Arrange apples over syrup. Combine the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla and remaining syrup; drizzle over apples.
- 4. For topping, combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until apples are tender. Yield: 18-24 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 307 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 48 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Potluck Apple Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC