- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, divided
- 3 pounds tart apples (8 to 9 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour and water until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, combine salt and remaining flour; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add reserved flour mixture; knead gently until dough forms a ball.
- Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Spread 1/4 cup syrup over crust. Arrange apples over syrup. Combine the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla and remaining syrup; drizzle over apples.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until apples are tender. Yield: 18-24 servings.
Reviews for Potluck Apple Pie
"I recall making this recipe myself and had taken it to a family Thanksgiving get-together!My brother-in-law, John Pinto really liked this pie, too! I adjusted the recipe by using 1/4 cup to 6 Tbsp. cold water, 1 tsp. salt and I used I cup shortening. If I recall correctly, I omitted the pecans as some people are not fans of nuts or else experience an allergy to nuts. If you don't have maple syrup, try pancake syrup! I've learned to utilize what I have when I first started subscribing to TOH! delowenstein"
"I make this dessert every fall and it is a family favorite! I do wonder if I would be able to freeze it though."
"I didn't make this, but my sister did. I thought it was so good that I asked for the recipe."
"this was awesome i took it to a party and it gone, and everyone asked for the recepe"