Potluck Apple Pie Bars Recipe
I use apple from our own apple trees to make this dessert. It's a big hit at potlucks as well as with my family.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 9 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly.
- 2. Combine egg yolks and milk; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with one rectangle; sprinkle with cereal.
- 4. Arrange apples over cereal. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Top with remaining pastry; cut slits in top. Brush with egg whites.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. In a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
1 bar equals 338 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC