- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 9 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly.
- Combine egg yolks and milk; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with one rectangle; sprinkle with cereal.
- Arrange apples over cereal. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Top with remaining pastry; cut slits in top. Brush with egg whites.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. In a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Pie Bars in Country Extra September 2004, p49
Reviews for Potluck Apple Pie Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 29, 2011
"A bit bland."
Reviewed May. 26, 2011
"Sorry, did not care for these. Dense and too sweet."
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2011
"Over 300 calories and 17 grams of fat PER BAR? Who cooks like this anymore? My family deserves better and so does yours!"
Reviewed Oct. 5, 2010
"These were amazing!"