Potluck Apple Crisp Recipe
Delicious with ice cream or plain for breakfast, this dessert serves a crowd. It's perfect for picnics and family gatherings.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 3 quarts sliced peeled apples (about 12 medium)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cook and stir over medium heat just until apples are tender. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Pat half of flour mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread apples over top; crumble remaining flour mixture over apples.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: About 16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 374 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC