Potluck Almond Bars Recipe
These creamy treats are sized right for a buffet, notes Farmington, Minnesota reader Astrid Miller. "The portions are easy to handle," she notes. "And, because they're so nice and small, they aren't too filling." But don't be surprised if their sweet taste keeps guest coming back for more!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter and salt. Pat into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour over crust. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, combine the sugar, butter, milk and extract; stir until smooth. Frost bars and sprinkle with almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 piece equals 150 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC