Poteca Nut Roll Recipe
My mother-in-law brought this recipe from Yugoslavia in the early 1900's. It was a tradition in her family to serve it for holidays and special occasions. Now it's my tradition. Family members often help roll our the dough and add the filling. —Mrs. Anthony Setta, Saegertown, Pennsylvania
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 4 cups ground or finely chopped walnuts
- 2% milk
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening, and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 30-in. x 20-in. rectangle. In a bowl , combine the butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon extract if desired and nuts. Add about 1/2 cup milk until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Spread over rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; shape into a tight spiral. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. If desired, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to make a thin glaze; brush over roll. Yield: 1 coffee cake.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 304 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC