- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the nuts, dates, milk,
- 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir until mixture forms
- a paste. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually
- beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff
- peaks form. Fold into nut mixture.
- Cut dough in half; on a floured surface, roll one portion into a
- 20-inch square. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up tightly
- jelly-roll style. Place, seam side up, in a greased 10-in. tube pan.
- Repeat with second portion; place, seam side down, over the first
- roll-up in the pan (layers will bake as one loaf).
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 509 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.