Poteca Cake Recipe
“Rock Springs is home to 56 nationalities, and this recipe showcases its Slavic heritage. It’s one of my favorite ethnic holiday treats.” —Rachelle Stratton Rock Springs, Wyoming
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter with the milk; cool. Stir in egg yolks until blended. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; add butter mixture and yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the nuts, dates, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir until mixture forms a paste. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into nut mixture.
- 5. Cut dough in half; on a floured surface, roll one portion into a 20-inch square. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style. Place, seam side up, in a greased 10-in. tube pan. Repeat with second portion; place, seam side down, over the first roll-up in the pan (layers will bake as one loaf).
- 6. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 509 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC