Potatoes Soup Recipe
I decided to add some character to a basic potato chowder by adding roasted red peppers. The extra flavor gives a deliciously unique twist to an otherwise ordinary soup.—Mary Shivers, Ada, Oklahoma
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 small celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup cream until smooth; add to slow cooker. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, bacon, cilantro and remaining cream.
- 3. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC