I came up with this potato and egg recipe one summer when relatives came to visit. It was a well received by everyone! To save time, you can use frozen hash browns.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed (1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in butter until tender. Add potatoes and chilies; toss to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper; pour over the potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Potatoes Olé in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p146
Reviews for Potatoes Olé
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 1, 2015
"Great flavor. Only complaint is I'd prefer it stay congealed, like a casserole. A bit of work, but everyone will take a second helping."