Potato Volcano Recipe
Kids of all ages get a kick out of this recipe. I make it by mounding mashed potatoes into the shape of a mountain, putting a crater in the middle, and filling it with cheese sauce and drizzling some down the sides like lave. Then I broil it until it's bubbling and brown.—Beatta Robben, Grinnell, Kansas
- 8 to 10 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups cubed process American cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil; cook for 20-25 minutes or until very tender. Drain well; mash with milk. Add butter and salt; beat until fluffy. Mound potato mixture about 4 in. high on a 9-in. broiler-proof pan; set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese, salt and pepper; stir until the cheese is melted.
- 3. With a large spoon, form a well 3 to 3-1/2 in. deep and 2-in. wide in the potato mixture. Pour cheese sauce into the well and drizzle down the sides. Broil 4 to 6 in. from the heat for 10 minutes or until the cheese sauce is browned and bubbling. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 355 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 635mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein
Reviews for Potato Volcano
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC