Potato Vegetable Soup Recipe
Thick as a chowder and chock-full of colorful veggies, this comforting soup makes cozy fare for a pair on blustery early spring evenings. It’s a favorite of Jan Hancock in Evansville, Wisconsin.
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1. In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain. In the same pan, combine the potato, carrot, water, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and butter; stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 242 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 545 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 milk, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC