Thick as a chowder and chock-full of colorful veggies, this comforting soup makes cozy fare for a pair on blustery early spring evenings. It’s a favorite of Jan Hancock in Evansville, Wisconsin.
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain. In the same pan, combine the potato, carrot, water, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and butter; stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Potato Vegetable Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p14
Reviews for Potato Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review