You'll come to rely on this featuring a flavorful meat loaf topped with fluffy mashed potatoes. Add a green salad and you have a complete meal. - Judy Martinez, Weverville, California
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Pat into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. In a bowl, combine the potatoes, corn and onions; mix well. Spread over meat loaf. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Potato-Topped Chili Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p53
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Potato-Topped Chili Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review