- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup saltine crumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes (with milk and butter)
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Combine the first six ingredients; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°; drain.
- Combine the potatoes, corn, beans, onions and 1/2 cup of cheese; spread over meat loaf. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the potato layer is lightly browned and heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPotato-Topped Chili Loaf
"This was VERY good! I used bread crumbs instead of cracker crumbs, but made it as written otherwise! My family loved it!"
"Very good! We made this the other night and it will be a new family favorite. I drained the grease from the meatloaf before putting on the topping."