Potato-Topped Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 4 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 pounds ground chicken
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 cups (7 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook chicken, carrots and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour, tomato paste, salt, pepper and thyme. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. Divide mixture between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl. Add milk and butter; mash until smooth. Stir in cheese. Spread over chicken mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
- 5. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
1-1/3 cups equals 412 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 636 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.