A friend gave me this easy, fast and delicious casserole recipe. Any cheese you have on hand will work fine. It's perfect for those nights when you want something hearty and homemade. —Mary Ann Dell, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
- 4 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 pounds ground chicken
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 cups (7 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook chicken, carrots and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour, tomato paste, salt, pepper and thyme. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Divide mixture between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl. Add milk and butter; mash until smooth. Stir in cheese. Spread over chicken mixture.
Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Originally published as Potato-Topped Chicken Casserole in Simple & Delicious May/June 2009, p10
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Potato-Topped Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review