My family enjoy this basic, comforting casserole because it always satisfies. I sometimes stir in sliced black olives.Cheryl Buker, Eagle, Colorado
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, optional
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, mushrooms if desired, garlic, salt
- and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with potatoes;
- sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes
- or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 353 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 531 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.