- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, optional
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, mushrooms if desired, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with potatoes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Potato-Topped Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p58
Reviews for Potato-Topped Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 8, 2011
"For a bit of a change you can omit the mushrooms and add a can of drained green beans and 1 TBSP of worchestershire sauce. I have also substituted bulk pork sausage for the beef."