Potato Stuffing Casserole Recipe
I adapted this recipe from a Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook, and it's indicative of the fine German cooking found in this area. If you're looking for an alternative to mashed potatoes, try this dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 slices bread, cubed
- 4 to 5 large potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Additional parsley
- 1. In a medium skillet, saute celery and onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Add bread cubes and stir until lightly browned. Stir in potatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, milk and egg; mix well.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Dot with remaining butter. Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish with additional parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 258 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC